If you’re anything like me, then a candle is a necessary luxury; a small act of self-care that works wonders. There’s nothing I love more than sinking into a hot bubble bath or cosying up with a good book, bathed in the light of a deliciously-scented candle. So I’m excited to share with you the best soy candles in the UK that I’ve found!
Why soy wax candles in particular? Well, if I’m completely honest, I’d never really paid much attention to what went into a candle before I turned vegan! But once I started looking into things in more detail, I realised that natural candles are infinitely better for your health, the planet, and animals – as well as burning cleaner and for longer. What’s not to love?!
My Top Picks
- Best energising: Madekind Focus Candle | Skip to review
- Best centrepiece: Olivetreehome Candle House Peppery Rose Candle | Skip to review
- Best value: Illumine Candle Co Vanilla Hazelnut Candle | Skip to review
- Best floral: Earl of East Wildflower Candle | Skip to review
- Best fruity: Urban Apothecary London Notorious Neroli Candle | Skip to review
- Best crackle: Moo & Yoo Signature Candle | Skip to review
- Best festive: Upcircle Chai Latte Candle | Skip to review
Here are the 7 best vegan & cruelty-free natural candles in the UK
There are so many benefits to choosing clean and natural soy wax – whether you want to look after your health, are environmentally conscious, care about animals, or all of the above! I’ve covered this in more depth further on in this post, so skip ahead if you’re interested in learning more.
But for now, let’s get straight to it. Here are some of my favourite brands producing cruelty-free and non-toxic candles that will bring you peace and tranquillity after a long day.
- My Pick: Focus Aromatherapy Candle
- Why: This blend of essential oils includes lavender, rosemary and peppermint, which are designed to enhance mental clarity and focus. Creates a calm and productive ambience.
- Specs: 500ml
Madekind’s range of 100% hand-poured candles is made from soy wax (derived from soybean oil), which makes them the perfect natural choice for your home. All candles are non-toxic, vegan and biodegradable. Madekind live by the mantra ‘refill, re-use, recycle’, and also produce lovely cleaning products – everything you need for a natural home.
Packaging: This sustainable 500ml candle comes in a beautiful amber glass jar with an aluminium lid, which can be endlessly repurposed or easily recycled. It is also presented in a kraft gift box, making it the ideal gift option for someone special (yourself, perhaps?!).
2. Olivetreehome Candle House
- My Pick: Ceramic Five Wick Peppery Rose Soy Candle
- Why: If you’re looking for a centrepiece that makes a statement, then look no further! Housed in a handmade ceramic pot made from British stone clay, and finished using a traditional lino block technique for a truly unique product.
- Specs: 1,500g
Olivetreehome’s vegan candles are free from parabens, phthalates and other chemical nasties. Instead, they are created from a simple trio of ingredients: essential oils, soy wax flakes and cotton wicks. Each piece of their ceramic collection is made individually by hand, meaning that no two pieces are the same (which only adds to their lovely individual charm!). Founder Helen also offers candle-making courses in Kent.
Packaging: You’ll want to treasure your Olivetreehouse candle pot for a lifetime – simply clean out and reuse this timeless classic piece of pottery. Every aspect of their packaging is recyclable, and they even offer handy refills for all candle sizes.
3. Illumine Candle Co
- My Pick: Vanilla Hazelnut Soy Wax Candle
- Why: To get the most bang for your buck, try Illumine Candle Co’s scrumptious-smelling Vanilla Hazelnut soy candle for a long-lasting burn. Sweet, creamy hazelnuts blended with cinnamon, cloves, and a hint of coffee – mm mmm!
- Specs: 300ml | 50 hours+ burn time
To support a small business that respects the planet and animals, buy from Illumine Candle Co. Their collection of natural candles is 100% vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free and palm oil-free. Hand-poured in small batches in Devon, these lovely candles are made from 100% soy wax, then infused with deliciously-scented essential oils to boost your mood.
Packaging: Housed in simple glass jars with aluminium lids, all Illumine products and packaging are environmentally conscious (either biodegradable or recyclable).
4. Earl of East
- My Pick: Wildflower Soy Wax Candle
- Why: Evocative of a bursting summer meadow, this bespoke blend of jasmine, gardenia and rose geranium was inspired by the founder’s fond memories of spending time in their grandparent’s English country garden.
- Specs: 500ml | 85-100 hours burn time
Hand-poured in East London, Earl of East’s vegan and cruelty-free candles are ethically sourced, phthalate-free and RSPO-certified. They are made using eco-soy (non-GMO) wax that is harvested in the US, then manufactured here in the UK. A unique feature is that each candle has a ‘scent story’ and even comes with its own suggested playlist! They have two stores in London, if you’re in the area.
Packaging: The amber glass jars used for their candles are manufactured in the UK and 100% recyclable (they also have a recycling scheme for empty jars). Earl of East are partnered with Ecologi, meaning that every purchase you make plants a tree.
5. Urban Apothecary London
- My Pick: Notorious Neroli Ruby Candle
- Why: Be transported to sunnier climes with the scent of flowering orange blossom, alongside notes of zesty bergamot, mandarin and lime leaf. Perfect for lovers of fruity, citrus scents. It’s limited edition – so get it while you can!
- Specs: 300g | Up to 60 hours burn time
Starting life from the kitchen table, British brand Urban Apothecary are fuelled by a passion for contemporary, high-quality fragrances. Their natural candles became so popular that, in 2015, they began in-house production with the first run of carefully hand-poured vegan candles in their Leicestershire factory. Overseen by skilled artisans at every step of the way, a lot of TLC and attention to detail goes into each and every product.
Packaging: All Urban Apothecary cruelty-free candles have been housed in beautiful glass vessels from the very beginning. This means that they can either be recycled after use or repurposed and given a second lease of life around the home.
6. Moo & Yoo
- My Pick: Moo & Yoo Signature Candle
- Why: A simple yet sophisticated scent, Moo & Yoo’s signature candle is a luxurious mix of floral and woody notes. The sustainable wooden wick produces a lovely gentle crackle that will have you feeling cosy in no time!
- Specs: 200g
Edinburgh-based Moo & Yoo’s signature candle is made with 100% natural and biodegradable soy wax (which comes from renewable sources). Guided by strong ethical principles, Moo & Yoo are committed to using high-quality natural ingredients, as well as being vegan, cruelty-free and palm oil-free. They also give back with various local and national charitable initiatives.
Packaging: Their luxurious candle comes in a reusable heavy-weight glass jar with a bamboo lid. Labels are printed on recycled paper using eco-friendly, vegetable-based inks. They have also worked to minimise unnecessary packaging and boxes when shipping your order.
- My Pick: Chai Latte Soy Wax Candle
- Why: A warming cup of chai latte is quite possibly my favourite winter beverage, so it makes sense that I’d recommend this candle as the perfect festive addition to any room! Decadent, cosy, and oh-so comforting.
- Specs: 180ml | Up to 35 hours burn time
I’ve spoken about B-Corp-certified Upcircle before in my post on the best natural and organic skincare. This is a fantastically innovative company looking to close the loop on waste, by using upcycled materials from the food sector to create their luxury products. Their candles are hand-poured in Yorkshire with sustainably sourced soy wax, using residual chai spices and repurposed coffee grounds.
Packaging: Your Upcircle candle sits snugly in a glass jar and is shipped in fully recyclable packaging. A planet-friendly option that has the added benefit of looking effortlessly stylish.
Non-Toxic Candles: Better For Your Health, the Planet & Animals
It’s clear we all need to embrace eco-friendly alternatives… [Home is] where you spend so much of your time, and even small changes in your everyday life can make a big difference.
I hope that this post has been informative and you can now enjoy some wonderful new scents – basking in a candlelit glow knowing that you are truly feeling good and as well as doing good.
It goes without saying to always be careful when using candles (if you’re feeling sleepy, err on the safe side and blow them out!). Also, clean and reuse your empties after use where you can. Many companies now offer refills, which also have the added benefit of working out cheaper in the long run. Alternatively, you could get creative and repurpose a candle pot as a plant pot or storage jar.
To check out more ethical buying guides, take a look at my everyday swaps and suggestions here. And don’t forget to let me know how you get on in the comments below!