Want to commit to your health goals but lack confidence in the kitchen? Simply don’t have enough hours in the day to find plant-based recipes, work out a shopping list, and go hunting for obscure ingredients at the supermarket? Then a meal kit may be the perfect solution for you! Fortunately, I’ve scoured what’s on the market and boiled it down to my absolute favourite picks for 2023. So read on for the best vegan meal delivery services you can easily sign up for today.
If you’ve seen my post on the pros and cons of a whole-food plant-based diet or watched some vegan documentaries, then you’ll know that there are many positive health advantages to cutting down on meat and dairy. And from a sustainability perspective, switching to a vegan diet has also been proven to be one of the best things you can do for the long-term health of our planet.
Whether you’re slowly transitioning towards incorporating more meat-free meals, or you feel that you’re ready to take the full plant-based plunge – there are some fantastic and innovative companies to try out on this list. By supporting them and voting with your wallet, you are doing your bit to pave the way for positive change!
12 Mouth-Watering Vegan Meal Delivery Services
Vegan meal delivery services vary in terms of what they offer, so it helps to begin with an understanding of what you’re looking for.
If you enjoy cooking from scratch but want all the convenience of pre-portioned ingredients delivered to your door, then the traditional meal kits in the first section are probably the best choice for you. Or, for an even quicker vegan meal plan, you may find that pre-prepared meals are better for simply popping in the microwave at the end of a long day. Ready meals have a bad rep, but the pre-prepared fresh and frozen meals in the second section of this list will give you some guilt-free vegan options!
So for meal planning made easy, let’s have a closer look at the best plant-based meal delivery services to try.
No-fuss plant-based recipe kits to prepare & cook at home
My first six picks are your low down on the best vegan meal kits currently available in the UK.
Best for… Championing British produce & suppliers
With 150+ recipes to explore, Grubby is 100% plant-based and proud. Their mission is to: ‘Make plant-based cooking more convenient and accessible, without costing the earth.’ If you like the sound of this and want to fall in love again with cooking from scratch, then Grubby may be the best vegan meal kit for you.
Type: A nutritious vegan meal delivery service – recipes include an average of six or more fresh vegetables!
Offer: 25% off your first order
Price: ££ / 4 meals per week for 2 people = £46.00 (£5.75 per serving) *excluding any added discounts
Packaging: As a B Corp, Grubby’s packaging is 100% recyclable, compostable, and produced in the UK in over 95% of cases.
- Most organic produce is British-grown and they partner with a family-run farm based in the UK
- Any food waste is offset through food waste partners
- They donate a meal to a child in poverty for every recipe box delivered
- Most dishes come together in under 30 minutes
- None spring to mind! Definitely one to try.
- Butternut Squash Risotto, Crispy Kale and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Miso Mushroom, Asian Guac, Pickled Slaw and Wedges
- Shepherds Pie, Parsnip and Butterbean Mash Topping, Green Beans
Best for… Price-conscious foodies
With over 30,000 happy customers on Trustpilot, there’s a reason that Gousto is one of the UK’s most popular meal delivery services. Whilst Gousto caters for all diets, there are a wide selection of vegan meals to choose from, with recipes being switched up weekly. If you’re looking for realistic meat alternatives and a few indulgent dishes alongside your whole-food plant-based options, then this can strike a good balance. It’s also by far the best value when it comes to the vegan meal kits on this list.
Type: A bargain vegan recipe box, with everything you need to create easy and delicious plant-based meals.
Offer: 50% off your first box and 25% off for 2 months
Price: £ / 4 meals per week for 2 people = £34.99 (£4.37 per serving) *excluding any added discounts
Packaging: Gousto recently removed a whopping 74.5 tonnes of plastic from their recipe boxes with the invention of the Eco Chill Box. They also become a certified B Corp in 2021. Impressive stuff.
- Lowest-price meal delivery service
- Lots of quick and easy recipes, with some taking as little as 10 minutes from prep to plate
- Good portion sizes (you may even be able to freeze some leftovers!)
- You can easily switch from weekly to one-off deliveries
- Doesn’t quite have the same level of nutritional quality as some of the other vegan recipe boxes, like Green Chef or Mindful Chef
- Sweet Potato Dal with Coconut Raita
- Black Bean Curry with Coriander Rice & Pickled Chilli
- American-Style Meat-Free Sausage Sarnie with Pickled Cucumber Relish
Best for… Restaurant-quality dishes
Born out of the pandemic, Planthood is the new kid on the block when it comes to vegan meal kits. If you’ve got the cash to spend, then this is the premium, chef-prepared plan for you. Delicious and imaginative, their tagline hits the nail on the head: ‘Healthy vegan food you actually want to eat.’ What sets Planthood apart is the promise of a meal on the table in 15 minutes or less. Their team of chefs do all the hard work so that you just need to do some light last-minute assembly. This makes it the best of both worlds, sitting somewhere between a fresh recipe kit and a convenient ready meal.
Type: Nutritionally-designed vegan meal delivery service, with high-quality ingredients based on healthy whole foods.
Offer: Free delivery on orders over £50
Price: £££ / 4 meals per week for 2 people = £54.40 (£6.80 per serving) *excluding any added discounts
Packaging: 100% reusable, compostable or recyclable.
- Ethical supply chain with sustainably sourced, seasonal produce from small-scale growers
- Meals are based around nutrient-dense whole foods like vegetables, legumes, whole grains, nuts and seeds
- 1% of sales are donated to environmental charities
- Planthood is at the top end of the price spectrum
- Spicy Dan Dan Noodles with Walnut Miso & Mushrooms, Tossed in Garlicky Peanut Sesame Sauce
- Slow-Cooked Mushroom Bourguignon Over Creamy Mash with Green Kale
- Butterbean Caponata with Roasted Peppers & Aubergine, Salsa Verde & Warm Ciabatta
4. Green Chef
Best for… Transitioning to a healthier lifestyle
It seemed crazy that up until recently, the UK’s largest meal delivery company – HelloFresh – didn’t cater for vegans! But fear not. They listened to consumer demand, and Green Chef is now a much-welcome addition to the HelloFresh group. Green Chef is more health-focused, and you can select from 5 dietary options (low carb, Keto, pescetarian, flexitarian, vegetarian and vegan). This makes it a great option for those transitioning to a more plant-based diet.
Type: A box packed full of fresh, quality ingredients, with most meals ready in 30 minutes or less.
Offer: 40% off on your first 2 boxes (then 25% off the next 2 boxes)
Price: ££ / 4 meals per week for 2 people = £47.50 (£5.94 per serving) *excluding any added discounts
Packaging: The majority is recyclable, although they do still use some plastic in their boxes. The good news is that Green Chef offset 100% of their carbon emissions by supporting green energy projects around the world.
- Super easy-to-follow recipe cards, that even those with no cooking skills whatsoever should be able to follow!
- Meals are crafted by dieticians to ensure you get enough protein through sustainably sourced ingredients, whilst also watching calories
- Flexibility to skip a week entirely or cancel at any time
- I can’t think of any! Right up there with Grubby on price and quality.
- Harissa Aubergine Pie
- Yellow Thai Inspired Butternut Squash Curry
- Smoky Kidney Bean Chilli
5. Mindful Chef
Best for… Families with different dietary requirements
When I saw that Fearne Cotton was endorsing Mindful Chef, I felt sure that this was a brand I needed to keep on my radar. And I wasn’t wrong! Mindful Chef is a great option for households with different dietary preferences, as you can pick from both vegan and non-vegan meals. They also cater for up to 4 people as well as having an option for 1 person (alongside the standard 2 people), which makes this a more flexible choice for family meals.
Type: Fresh, nutritionist-designed vegan recipe boxes.
Offer: 25% off your first 4 recipe boxes
Price: £££ / 4 meals per week for 2 people = £53.00 (£6.63 per serving) *excluding any added discounts
Packaging: As a certified B Corp, Mindful Chef uses recyclable packaging. You can also return the insulation free of charge for re-use.
- Their healthy recipes avoid refined sugar and carbs and are also low in calories (450-650 per serving)
- Perfect for those with dietary restrictions – all meals are gluten-free
- Many of their satisfying meals can be made in as little as 15 minutes
- For every meal ordered, they donate a school meal to a child living in poverty
- A tad pricey (but hey… you get what you pay for!)
- Persian Lentils with Aubergine & Pomegranate Rice
- Vegan Cacio e Pepe with Tomato Salad
- Tofu Skewers, Courgette Salad & Satay Sauce
Best for… Organic produce
Riverford is an organic vegan meal delivery service, which prioritises fresh, in-season produce. They have an unwavering ethical focus, with 80% of their veg being grown in the UK, no air freight, and a pledge to pay their farmers fairly.
Type: Organic recipe boxes that deliver on fresh ingredients. They are also well-known for their healthy fruit and veg boxes.
Offer: Buy two recipe boxes and save 5%, buy three or more to save 10%
Price: £££ / 4 meals per week for 2 people = £53.80 (£6.73 per serving) *excluding any added discounts
Packaging: Mostly recyclable or compostable. They will reuse your boxes, chill bags and ice packs if you leave them out for the driver to collect before your next delivery.
- You can set up a weekly or fortnightly order, or just place one-off orders
- It’s good to know that you’re eating organic food (i.e. less nasty chemicals!)
- On the expensive side
- A limited selection of plant-based recipe kits
- Be aware that these meals may take slightly longer to prepare (typically 30-60 mins)
- Speedy Tofu & Spinach Tikka Masala
- Curly Kale & Peanut Satay Stir-Fry
- One-Pot Spanish Chickpea Stew
Fresh & frozen vegan meals delivered straight to your door
For days when convenience is king, here are my six top brands that specialise in vegan ready meals.
7. All Plants
Best for… Quick & nutritious microwavable meals
For super speedy dinners that also pack a healthy punch, try AllPlants. If you’re after prepared meals that require minimal effort with heating up, then this is the vegan food delivery service for you! And the best bit? You don’t have to worry about these cheat meals – they’re designed by nutritionists, and once they’re cooked, they’re flash-frozen to lock in all their natural goodness!
Type: Affordable, frozen vegan meals that deliver on convenience and taste.
Offer: 30% off your first 3 orders
Price: ££ / 6 ready meals portioned for 1 = £34.50 (£5.75 per serving) *excluding any added discounts
Packaging: All recyclable, but you can also ship it back to them with free return postage to ensure it’s recycled in the best way.
- Choose from single portions or servings for two (the latter works out the best value!)
- A huge selection to choose from, you can also add on side dishes like breakfasts, smoothies or desserts
- Deliveries are carbon neutral
- These meals are great for convenience, but they’re better for one-off use rather than full-time reliance
- Ready-to-eat meals take some of the joy out of cooking from scratch!
- Miso + Tamari Tofu Bowl
- Teriyaki Udon
- Rigatoni Bolognese
Best for… Your favourite classics with a plant-based twist
Another brand that specialises in 100% plant-based premade meals, this is vegan meal delivery made simple. You can place a one-off order or start a subscription service (note: it’s cheaper to do the latter then cancel if you need to!). For healthy food on the days you really can’t be bothered to cook, Planty vegan meals will be a lifesaver!
Type: Frozen plant-based meal delivery that never compromises on taste.
Offer: Get 20% off your first box
Price: ££ / 6 readymeals portioned for 1 = £39.00 (£6.50 per serving) *excluding any added discounts
Packaging: Completely recyclable, compostable or reusable.
- Insulated boxes mean that your Planty delivery will stay frozen for 24 hours if you aren’t at home to receive it
- No artificial ingredients (unlike your usual supermarket ready meals!)
- Deliveries are carbon neutral
- Meals only come in individual portions, so Planty may not be as suitable for couples as AllPlants
- Mac ‘No’ Cheese
- Not-a-Chicken Tikka Masala
- Tempeh Lasagne
9. The Good Prep
Best for… Personally tailored meal plans
The Good Prep takes vegan food delivery services to a whole new level! For an individually tailored vegan menu that includes three meals a day (plus snacks!), this is your all-in-one package. TGP aims to reduce food waste and allow you to reclaim your time by taking the decision fatigue out of nutrition. Unlike AllPlants and Planty, their meals always arrive freshly prepared, never frozen.
Type: Premium, all-inclusive meal delivery service that puts health and taste at the forefront.
Offer: Free nationwide delivery
Price: £££ / 10 readymeals portioned for 1 = from £109.50 (£10.95 per serving) *excluding any added discounts
Packaging: Fully recyclable. The denim cotton used for box insulation is biodegradable, compostable, and comes from recycled sources.
- No additives or preservatives – all meals are freshly prepared before delivery
- Nutrient-dense with the best, locally sourced ingredients wherever possible
- Gives you a full meal plan so that you can put your dietary choices on autopilot (and use your brain power for other things!)
- Expensive (but if you can afford it, then happy days!)
- The minimum plan is 5 days and 2 meals per day, which doesn’t offer much flexibility when it comes to keeping costs down
- Lemon Pepper Tofu, Roasted Herby New Potatoes
- Sweet Chilli Tempeh, Mexican Rice
- Teriyaki Udon Noodles
10. Vibrant Vegan Co
Best for… Specific nutritional needs (low cal, gluten-free, etc)
Vibrant Vegan Co is a fun and colourful brand on a healthy mission. For nutrient-dense meals that will keep you fuller for longer (and off the snacks!), try their wide range of cuisines from a huge selection of tasty prepared meals. Fresh-from-frozen convenience makes this a strong contender against brands like AllPlants and Planty.
Type: A frozen vegan delivery service that encourages healthy eating, even on cheat days!
Offer: Bargain Vegan Feast Box = £27 for 6 meals
Price: ££ / 6 readymeals portioned for 1 = £36.00 (£6.00 per serving) *excluding any added discounts
Packaging: Meal trays are made from 95% sustainable recyclable paper materials and the sleeves are fully recyclable. The recycled denim insulation can be returned for free alongside the outer packaging for reuse!
- Recently lowered the amount of salt in their dishes
- With every meal you purchase, Vibrant Vegan Co donates money to War Child, to help support children in need
- Save 17% when you purchase for 2 people
- Delivery is carbon neutral
- The minimum number of meals you can order is 6
- Spicy Samba Tomato & Bean Stew
- Piri Piri Jambalaya
- Rainbow Quinoa & Falafels
11. Soulful Foods
Best for… Cheap & healthy lunches
Sister-brand to Vibrant Vegan Co, Soulful Foods is a wallet-friendly meal delivery service that specialises in convenient meal pots (they simply need heating in the microwave or on the hob). These ready meals come in at £2.99 each, which is less than the price of a supermarket meal deal and a hell of a lot healthier!
Type: Pre-prepared meals that make lunchtime something to look forward to!
Offer: Save 10% when you subscribe
Price: £ / 6 ready meals portioned for 1 = £17.94 (£2.99 per serving) *excluding any added discounts
Packaging: B Corp certified, with recyclable plastic pots and cardboard trays.
- Subscribe and you can save 10%
- Flexible options mean you can order as little as you want, place a one-off order, skip or cancel deliveries
- They donate 8% of their profits to help feed refugees
- Plenty of gluten-free options for those with dietary restrictions
- Portion sizes are smaller, so meals suit lunches better than dinners
- Pulled Jackfruit Smoky BBQ Chilli with Corn & Beans
- Mexican Bean & Sweet Potato with Quinoa
- Persian Tomato, Lentil & Chickpea with Cauliflower
12. Fresh Fitness Food
Best for… Active gym-goers
If you’re after a vegan meal delivery service with a point of difference, check out Fresh Fitness Food. With a focus on active lifestyles, this London-based company offers a bespoke meal plan that is tailored to your individual nutritional requirements. Like The Good Prep, Fresh Fitness Food is a more all-inclusive model, where you can order meals for your whole day (rather than simply dinner). For the ultimate premium delivery service – menus are designed by a Michelin-trained consultant! – look no further.
Type: Fresh, pre-prepared meals that are delivered to London postcodes (and expanding to other major UK cities – check for availability in your area).
Offer: Five-day free trial, which moves into a 20-day plan
Price: £££ / From £24.00 per day (there are ‘Flexi’ and ‘Commitment’ plans – you get a better deal if you opt for the latter)
Packaging: Recyclable plastic.
- Great for vegans who are trying to hit their fitness goals
- Personalised meal plans – with your own dedicated nutritionist!
- There is even an app to help you stay accountable to your nutrition targets
- It’s… very pricey
- You don’t have the same flexibility or minimum ordering options as some other plant-based meal delivery services on this list
- You don’t get to choose your meals
- Grilled Summer Squash, Minty Peas, Aubergine Ragu, Pasta, Salsa Verde, Black Olives and Basil
- Cauliflower and Lentil Curry, Green Beans and Peas, Steamed Greens, White Rice, FFF Green Sauce, Red Chilli
- Pesto Grain Bowl
Why Should You Consider a Vegan Meal Delivery Service?
If you’ve always done weekly grocery shopping… then you’ve probably never known anything different! But how we live is always rapidly changing with technology. Vegan meal delivery services allow you affordable access to chef-crafted meals, from companies that are experts in what they do.
Less food waste
Take the guesswork out of portion control! When you go to the supermarket (especially when you’re hungry!), it can be easy to over-buy for the number of people you’re cooking for. This often means unmanageable leftovers, with food (and money!) going straight in the bin.
Also, if you’re fed up with buying specific ingredients for one recipe… only for them to predictably sit at the back of the cupboard forever more, then say goodbye to this problem with perfectly pre-portioned ingredients. It feels good to end the week with a clean fridge!
Nutritionally balanced meals
Let’s be honest, most of us aren’t qualified dieticians… We just have a vague awareness that we should eat healthily. The best vegan meal delivery services put time and thought into each meal that goes on their menu, to ensure that you receive the right nutrients for optimum health.
Whether you’re not much of a cook, or you simply want to spend more time on the people and things that matter in your life, don’t be afraid to accept help! Vegan meal boxes are a fantastic way to ensure you and your family are eating healthy meals, without the stress of traditional long-winded meal planning.
Creativity with new & exciting cuisines
I know that for me personally, I can get stuck in a rut with the same old recipes that I know and enjoy. The problem with this is that you get firmly rooted in a comfort zone, and meal times can become a bit repetitive.
From a vibrant, tangy Thai stir fry to using tempeh for the first time, recipe boxes hold your hand when trying new and exciting flavour combinations. This not only builds your confidence in the kitchen, but also makes plant-based eating far more creative, enjoyable and genuinely tasty!
Try These Healthy Plant-Based Meals Today!
I hope that this post has given you some food for thought, with plant-based meal delivery options that can help you to eat healthily with exciting vegan recipes. From fresh ingredients to sustainable packaging, you can’t really go wrong with any of the options on this list!
The best vegan meal delivery service is ultimately the one that works with your goals, budget and values in mind, whether that’s vegan ready meals or a plant-based recipe box.
Start your plant-based, minimalist meal plan today, and take the first step on your journey towards intentional living! If you have any questions at all, please do fire away in the comments section below.
For further reading on how to create your minimalist meal plan click here, or browse more articles in the Veganism section.